Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Beg, Borrow or Steal Ideas


Where do you get your ideas for ministry? For me I use a variety of ways, here are a few.

Borrow - Use a local church youth pastor network to get a hold of some great ideas or resources. Challenge everyone to email around their latest series or start a shared drop box of goodies for everyone to borrow from regularly. Don’t be afraid to borrow a great event idea from someone else, or use a resource that seems outside of the norm for your group-you might just stumble onto something that really works well.

Beg-this is really just an extension of “borrow.” Have you noticed that some folks just aren’t as generous with their ideas and ministry tips as others? If your first attempt at borrowing and isn’t met with the enthusiasm you hope for… crank it up a notch! When someone has information you know your ministry needs, be like the persistent widow and beg until you get what you need!

Steal-I don’t mean literally going into a store and stealing items off the shelf. What I mean to say is taking an idea without their permission. Personally, all of my information is up for grabs. I’m honored when someone steals an idea from me, that’s why I do what I do. I realize that not everyone is as open and as generous as I am, so you need to be careful. If you steal an idea, at least give credit to where you got the idea. Most often the person you stole it from, will see it as a form of flattery. Furthermore, I have never stolen an idea that I haven’t had to tweak in some way or another to make it work in my particular setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment