Wednesday, June 12, 2013

3 Must Have Apps


If you are in ministry with young people, then it is my belief that you MUST  have a smartphone. I realize that you can still be in ministry without a

smartphone, but staying connected with young people these days means constantly being on the move and I have found the use of my smart phone invaluable. So here are 3 apps that I think you should have. (This assumes that you already have social media applications like Facebook, Twitter, Foursquare, etc.)


Groupme
by Mindless Dribble Inc.
Cost: Free

This app is basically a group texting app. The benefit that I like with this particular app is that there is a web interface which a lot of other group texting apps do not have. The way it works is you create a group (large or small) of people that you want to communicate with, simply put in their contact information (mobile phone or email) and you can type I message and they will all receive it. If they also have this app they can carry on a conversation with you and you can see the thread of the conversation within the app. There are lots of neat controls (admittedly I have not tried out all of them yet) but I’ve begun using it and love it.


IB Questions
By Callum Henderson (icebreakers.me)
Cost: $.99

This app is probably my favorite app on the phone. It stands for IceBreaker Questions.  It’s basically a random generating question app. It has 3 different age groups (kids, teenagers, adults) and randomly generates various questions to get people talking. You can use the app in conjunction with another game or if you’re taking a long road trip it makes for great fun. It kind of reminds me of the book “the book of questions”, but it’s on my phone which means I will use it and you should too.


Group Games
by Callum Henderson (icebreakers.me)
Cost: $1.99

This is another great app if you are involved in youth and young adult ministry because it is chock full of games at the ready. It’s designed for groups large and small, inside or outside. It’s a great tool to have at the ready when you need to take up some down time with a group. I have found that these games can be used with kids, teenagers or adults and it makes a great resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment